Hi everyone! It’s Friday! And it’s also the start of spring break here in Alaska! I still have to work today and the first half of next week before I leave for Utah, but I don’t have to worry about lesson planing or prep and it’s going to be a chance for me to catch up on everything before I leave. And it feels like spring here which is a nice bonus! Today’s Friday Five with Cynthia, Mar, and Courtney is “favorites”, and since my mind is looking ahead to my upcoming racecation to Utah for the Zion Half Marathon I’m writing about my favorite things about destination races! I’ve only had one true racecation before this (Florida for Disney Princess), but I’ve taken a few day/weekend trips to races and it’s always exciting to travel to a race! Why?
1. I get to do exciting new things: The US is such a pretty and diverse place, and I love getting to travel to new places that I’ve never been before. I’ve never been to the desert, so Utah will be really new for me! It’s fun doing things that you can’t do at home.
2. I cross a new state off my list: I’ve got a goal to run a race in all 50 states, and I’m so excited to cross #8 off next weekend! Ever since I’ve been a little kid I’ve wanted to travel to all 50 states, and running is giving me an opportunity to make that goal happen.
3. Getting to do “Lower 48 stuff”: Now that I live in Alaska, there are things that we just don’t have here (CHIPOTLE!!!!). While we do have lots of amazing scenery and things that can’t be found in the lower 48 states, I do look forward to getting a chance to shop at Trader Joe’s, TJ Maxx, and…did I mention Chipotle? 🙂
4. Mixing all of my favorite things: The number one reason for a racecation is the run, which is something that I love to do. But since most of my days in a racecation are spent doing things other than running, I get the chance to relax, read, hike, and run some more!
5. Running in beautiful new places: Almost every race I’ve ever done was scenic, and it’s so much fun to run in beautiful new places each time. It makes the run go by faster and keeps me inspired to keep going. One of my favorite things about Runner’s World magazine is the “Rave Runs” page, and I’m so excited to run August’s Rave Run next week!
The not-so-fun stuff: flying, packing, time zone changes (Alaska is in its own time zone), and paying for it all. But it’s worth it!
Do you have any destination races coming up? What’s your favorite part about them?