Hi everyone! Happy last Friday of the summer! Here in Anchorage it’s already feeling and looking a lot like fall, so I’m really excited about today’s Friday Five with Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia! Today’s theme is “Five Fall Races” and I’ve already got quite a few on my schedule!
1. Klondike Road Relay: Um, this is NEXT WEEK. How did that sneak up so fast?! This time next week I’ll be driving in an RV with 9 other people on our way to Skagway, AK for the start of the Klondike Road Relay! As a team, we’ll run all night and all day until we get to Whitehorse in the Yukon. It’s my very first international race! I’m so excited for this race but I’m always nervous with long drives through Alaska and the Rockies…who remembers my insane road trip up here last spring? I’m hoping we don’t crash into a snowbank or pop a tire in the middle of nowhere again!
2. De-feet Diabetes Trail Run: I’ve been saying all year that I wanted to run a trail race, so I was excited when this race popped up on the Alaska Runner’s Calendar! It’s a 4 miler in Kincaid Park (lots of hills!) but what attracted me to this race was that it used to be a walk to raise money for diabetes and it got upgraded to a run this year. This means that it’s probably not a super hardcore trail run like all the other ones in Anchorage, and since there will still be a lot of walkers I won’t feel bad if I need to take this one really slow. I need to ease into this trail running thing!
3. Frightening 4k: This is a fun halloween race in downtown Anchorage and I’m so excited that I’m doing it this year! Not only is it going to be so much fun to run in a costume, it’s an automatic PR! Any good runnable costume ideas?
4. Skinny Raven Turkey Trot: This is the one and only Thanksgiving race in Anchorage, and I feel like this is going to be part of my Thanksgiving routine every year!
5. And for my fifth race of the fall: I’m still not sure. I know I want to run an awesome and exciting race…I just don’t know what that will be or if I’ll even be able to do it! So far my options are:
- The Kenai River Half Marathon: It’s two weeks after my 9 mile Klondike Road Relay leg, so a lot of people are telling me to just go for the half since I’m mostly trained for it. It’s flat and there’s free reindeer dogs at the finish! But long distance running is so tough and I don’t feel nearly as prepared as I did for Her Tern, so I’m not really sure if I want to do this.
- Ragnar Las Vegas: One of my teammates from Ragnar Colorado won a free race entry and I’d just have to pay my way to get there. Am I crazy for even considering another Ragnar?
- I’m open to suggestions! Anyone running a west coast fall race and looking for a running buddy?
And before I wrap this post up, I wanted to let all of my hardcore basic ladies out there know that Starbucks is letting rewards members start purchasing PSLs TODAY!!!!! Time to start eating all the pumpkin!
What races are you running this fall? Have you ever run Ragnar Las Vegas and would you recommend it?