Disclaimer: I received the Amphipod Hydraform Ergo-Lite Ultra 16 to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (Ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!
Hi everyone! I’ve been so busy with moving and training the new puppy, but I’m back to blogging and so excited to catch up on how everyone’s summer is going so far! As you all know, summer officially started on Monday and Alaska had its longest day of the year. In Anchorage we got over 19 hours of sunlight with the other 5 hours being some level of twilight. I was so tempted to go out for a run in broad daylight at midnight like I did 2 years ago in Seward, but it’s just not safe to do that in Anchorage. But I have been taking time to run after work, and it has been really hot and sunny lately so I’ve been enjoying my summer running! This week, I decided to join up with the Friday Five Linkup with Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney to talk about my five summer running essentials.
1. The perfect pair of shorts: To me, this is the most impossible thing to find! I am slowly becoming more comfortable running in tight shorts, mostly because regular shorts tend to ride up while I run. If you have short recommendations let me know!
2. A flowy tank: I love a lightweight flowy tank that keeps me cool and dry while I’m running. Extra points if it has something witty written on it. Like my Christmas present from my sister, which says “Running now, pizzaing later”. Truth.
3. A nonslip headband: I’m a fan of both the thin kind that keeps your bangs back as well as the thick, sweat wicking ones. Both work awesome for the summer and I love picking out super colorful and cute patterns to wear!
4. A cold smoothie waiting for me at the end of my run: Double points if it’s a banana peanut butter shake with some cocoa powder!
5. A handheld hydration bottle: Along with running shorts, the perfect handheld hydration bottle is kind of hard to find. I’ve tried them before, but the ones I had in the past were either too big and heavy to carry, or had too small of a pocket so my phone couldn’t fit. So when Amphipod sent me their Hydraform Ergo-Lite Ultra 16 ounce handheld water bottle, I was really excited to see if I’d like it. And I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how awesome it was! My major concerns with any handheld water bottle are:
1. Is it too heavy or uncomfortable to carry?
2. Does it have enough room for me to carry my phone, keys, and running fuel too?
3. Does it keep my water from getting too hot?
The first time I ran with the the Hydraform Ergo-Lite Ultra, I was actually surprised by how much more comfortable the handle part was than the bottles I’ve used in the past! It’s made from a stretchy material that felt a lot softer than I expected. It didn’t feel scratchy or tight at all, so I was able to relax and almost forget that I was even wearing it. I originally started by gripping the bottle, but realized that the way that the bottle is designed actually allows me to keep my hand relaxed, which definitely added to my comfort. It didn’t feel too heavy, although I will say that if you’re the kind of person who gets annoyed by holding things while running then you should probably stay away from handheld hydration in general.
The best part about this bottle is that it had A TON of storage space! I was able to carry my iPhone 6s in the main pocket, while I stashed my keys in the small internal pocket. There’s also elastic loops on the handle that allows you to bring up to 3 pieces of running fuel along as well! I didn’t get to try those out because my runs are still so short, but I loved how it allowed easy access to fueling options. I also loved that the entire bottle is insulated, which actually kept my water cooler longer! And the website says that it will keep my water cool (not frozen) in the winter as well. Score!
Overall, I loved this handheld hydration bottle! It’s much more comfortable and has more storage options than the one I was using before, so I’m definitely going to retire that one. I love when I get the chance to try something new that totally changes my perception of an item. I’m not a big handheld hydration bottle fan, but I think the Hydraform Ergo-Lite Ultra might have changed my mind!
What are your summer running essentials? How do you carry water on a run? And for real: what is your favorite pair of shorts that don’t ride up?!